Tis the season for everything pumpkin spice! Since you know I am not a proponent of sweets, I much prefer savory items that include that wonderful pumpkin spice flavor.
Yes, these muffins are savory but they also include a hint of sweet. That’s what make them so delicious!
Warning, as these muffins are baking – and even when they are sitting out in a basket – the smell is incredible. You will want to bite right into these luscious bits of pumpkin flavor right away, guaranteed!
These savory pumpkin muffins would make an excellent accompaniment to your Thanksgiving dinner, chili, a hearty stew or a soup made from leftover turkey. They would also be a nice addition to a holiday morning breakfast – serve with fresh fruit and perhaps a quiche or frittata. Yum!
Full disclosure: this recipe is based on one that I found many years ago, which was presented by Crescent Dragonwagon of Saxton’s River, VA.
- Streusel topping:
- 2 T. butter
- 1 T. dark molasses
- 3 T. whole wheat flour or rolled oats
- ⅓ cup finely shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese
- ⅛ t. cayenne pepper
- ⅓ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ¼ t. salt
- 2½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup milk + 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup dark molasses
- 3 T. butter flavored shortening
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 T. finely chopped green chilies
- Prepare streusel by cutting molasses into butter.
- Combine dry ingredients and cut in butter with a pastry blender until it is well combined; set aside.
- To make muffins, combine dry ingredients in one bowl and blend together wet ingredients in a larger bowl. Add dry ingredients a bit at a time to the bowl of wet ingredients, stirring just to combine.
- Alternately, mix together wet ingredients in a stand mixer; add dry ingredients and combine with paddle at low speed, scraping sides as necessary.
- Grease each cup of a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spoon muffin dough into each muffin cup (about ⅔ full).
- Top each muffin cup with about a tablespoon of streusel topping.
- Bake 15 minutes, until browned on top and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.