Since starting the keto diet and going low carb, I’ve come up with lots of recipes that help me feel satisfied and full. If you are trying to go low carb, it’s important to treat yourself to good food and a very satisfying side dish like this casserole is perfect. And this is, by far, my most popular dish – it always gets rave reviews and requests for the recipe.
What makes this side dish so darned good? Well, the perfect combo of cheese and bacon, of course! If you don’t eat dairy, feel free to substitute a non-dairy cheddar cheese and cream cheese (Daiya just introduced a cream version that is delish!) or a thick, homemade almond milk.
Don’t scrimp on the bacon. It’s always best to go with uncured bacon or pork belly, but every now and then a bit of good, old-fashioned bacon doesn’t hurt. No matter your choice, the meat gives this dish extra protein and a welcome dose of fatty goodness that we all crave.
So for everyone who’s been waiting for the recipe for this favorite casserole dish, here you go!
- 1 head cauliflower
- 12 oz. uncured bacon, diced
- ½ yellow onion, minced
- ½ stick (4 T.) butter
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 3 oz. grated cheddar cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove outer leaves from cauliflower and break into small florets. Cut the tender parts of the stem into small pieces.
- In a large, oven safe cooking pot, add the cauliflower and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook over medium-high heat for 5 - 10 minutes, until the cauliflower is softened.
- Drain the cauliflower in a colander.
- Return the pot to medium heat and add the bacon. Saute until slightly crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pot with the cauliflower, reserving a bit of shredded cheese for the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.