Sometimes what you really want is a dish that is filling and comforting, while still conforming to the low carb demands of your diet. This dish does it all, and includes lots of good fats to make it perfect for those of you on a keto diet.
Start with a spiralized zucchini (also referred to as “zoodles”) and then layer on the flavor thanks to bacon fat, butter, garlic and cheese.
If you are particularly hungry, you could probably eat this all in one sitting. If you serve it with a side salad or veg, it can easily feed two people.
I made this casserole in a porcelain-coated cast iron pan (my favorite cookware!), but you could use any heavy baking dish of about 8″ x 8″ in size.
- 1 medium zucchini, spiralized or cut into small chunks
- 3 thick slices uncured bacon or pork belly
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onion
- ⅓ cup chopped white mushrooms
- 1½ T. butter
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1 t. dried parsley
- 1 cup almond milk*
- ¼ t. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ t. Himalayan sea salt
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium-sized, oven proof saucepan, fry bacon over medium-high heat, until crispy and fat is rendered.
- Add zucchini, onion and mushrooms and saute until vegetables are soft, about 5 - 10 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and toss with butter, garlic, parsley, almond milk and seasonings. Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake another 15 minutes, until heated through and cheese is melted.
- *To make your own almond milk, soak raw almonds in a bowl of water, to cover, for at least two hours or overnight. Then blend until smooth, adding more water, if necessary, to thin.